To celebrate World Environment Day, taking place June 5th 2018 with this year’s theme “Beat Plastic Pollution”, we’re putting on a community cleanup in Hidden Lake Park. Come out on Wednesday, June 6th between 6-8pm and help us clean up left behind trash around Hidden Lake and Still Pond. We will meet at the trail entrance by the Hidden Lake Park @6pm and then make our way around the ponds. If you would like to get involved please email [email protected] or give us a call at 250.762.2906 to let us know. This way we can ensure to provide enough garbage bags, gloves and pickers.
With the Hidden Lake Cleanup we also hope to encourage single-use plastic reduction. Thousands of coffee cups, straws, bottles and bags end up on the streets and in nature every day. Too much plastic leaks into our oceans continuously. You can make a change today!
Here are just a few simple steps you can implement in your daily life right now:
- Say no to plastic straws and encourage restaurants to only serve them upon request. If you need a straw, invest in a sustainable option like a metal straw.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags to the supermarket instead of using plastic bags.
- Don’t bag your veggies in separate plastic bags available at grocery stores. You can wash veggies at home or simply use reusable veggie bags.
- Refuse plastic cutlery.
- Avoid bottled water. Fill up your own water bottle at home or at a water fountain instead of purchasing a plastic bottle.
- Bring your own reusable coffee mugs when buying a takeaway beverage.
Make this your goal: If you can’t reuse it, refuse it!
We hope to see you at the cleanup on Wednesday, June 6th. 🙂